Thursday, April 18, 2013

Poem #9: Medicine


Medicine
Alice Walker

          Grandma sleeps with
          my sick
                       grand-
pa so she
can get him
during the night
medicine
to stop
   the pain

           In
        the morning
           clumsily
              I
          wake
              them

Her eyes
look at me
from under-
                  neath
his withered
arm

  The
medicine
   is all
       in
her long
 un-
        braided
                 hair.



Another poem that I loved the moment I read it. Some people say that the best poems are the ones that you have to read over and over again to really get them and then you love them. I'm sure that this poem has more in store for me, and there are poems that I have only slowly grown to love, but I think great poems can also grab you and hold you instantly without having to be read over and over first.

No comments:

Post a Comment